Friday, December 5, 2008

Starbucks "Perfect Oatmeal" ??? Not as perfect as mine!

I got into a little habit of driving through Starbucks almost every morning for some "Perfect Oatmeal." It was getting to be a pretty expensive habit at $2.45 a pop, not to mention the temptation to add a Pumpkin Spice Latte to the bill every day! So I decided to try to recreate it myself. I started by using Quaker one minute quick cook oats. I bought dried fruit from the bins at Winco and some to go coffee cups with lids. I measured out the oatmeal, fruit, and some brown sugar and put it all in the cup, covered it with plastic wrap and I was ready to add milk in the mornings. This was going pretty well I thought. On my way out I'd stick a cup or so of milk in the microwave for a few minutes, pour it over my pre-measured oatmeal mix and put the lid on. I never eat it until I get to work and it's always really good. In fact I think it's better than Starbucks. Oh, and all told it's twice as much food for half the price, literally. Well, I ran out of one minute oats, so I asked Brian to pick some up for me because he was going to the store anyway. He did, but he got the old fashioned oats instead of the one minute stuff. I was a little worried because I don't have time to actually cook oatmeal and my system was working pretty well with the other oats. I decided to give it a practice run at home. I wouldn't want to get all the way to work only to find that my breakfast wasn't cooked!!! Anyway, I have to say that was the best "mistake" ever! My oatmeal can kick Starbucks "(Not so) Perfect Oatmeal's" tail! Maybe I should start a business and sell The Best Oatmeal EVER!!!

Oh and another thing, I bought a new car! A 2008 Saturn Outlook. YEAH me! I should post pictures sometime, but as you well know I'll probably never get around to it!

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

I'm going to try this as well. I get this oatmeal everyday w/ a grande soy peppermint moca ($7.09) of craziness.