Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wilson, and some "coffin" brownies

I'm taking "Wilson" to work on Friday. Actually, Rosie the Riveter is taking Wilson to work on Friday. Among the (many) odd and somewhat interesting facts about the firm where I work is that they have a MAJOR knack for the celebration. I showed up to work one day almost a month ago now and it looked like a Halloween store had exploded into the offices. Then we got the "memo" that we would be having a pumpkin carving contest (realistic fake pumpkins provided by the firm), a costume contest, and two food contests - one for presentation and one for taste. There are some who will not join the fun - the office Jehovah's Witness gets a free pass, no one is looking at her like the Grinch who stole Halloween - but from what I can tell the rest of us better play or risk being the one who just came to the party to eat the food. So I started mulling around ideas. I'm not especially creative, and I don't mind looking stupid from time to time but this was a whole lot of creative pressure!

I ended up picking a really cool looking white pumpkin. Then I started trying to come up with an idea. I had one of those light bulb moments but kind of wondered if it would be lame... Finally I turned to my trusty friend the internet. Lo and behold I'm not the first person to come up with the idea. Needless to say I probably won't win any awards, but at least I won't return with a naked pumpkin!

Meet Wilson:





He will be sitting on a Fed Ex box when I put him on display... just to add a little something to his relevance. Just in case you are wondering, yes - I know that movie is soooooo last decade, or maybe even last century, but it was the best I could come up with!

As for the coffin's, I make a mean brownie, so I decided to put my strength on a platter. I also am fairly handy with some cake decorating tools so we'll see how it goes. I'm baking and cutting out the shapes tonight. Then I'll wrap them up and freeze them so that I can decorate on Thursday night. I'll post pictures of those when they're done if I remember... but they smell YUMMY! Oh, and as an added bonus - tonight, I'm eating brownie scraps!!!

No comments: