Wednesday, July 9, 2008

how?

does a parent live through the loss of a child? My sister in law Adrianne and brother Mark have long been my parenting heroes. They tirelessly cared for their beautiful special needs daughter Karissa through countless seizures, insane meal requirements, not to mention the energy of at least four of my kids. They are the perfect parents for her. They never rested from their efforts to give her the best chance at a healthy full life.
Yesterday, after only 3 short years with us, Karissa went to be with Jesus. I can't describe the pain I feel. I can't express how sad my kids were when I told them that their cousin had died. Most of all I can't even begin to wrap my brain around the pain Mark and Adrianne are feeling and the Grand Canyon sized hole that has been left in their hearts.
I think, in the case of our family, if we didn't have a HOPE then we would never be able to get through this pain. We cling to the thoughts of Karissa in heaven, seizure free, running without falling, and perfectly able to express everything she could not express to us in her earthly body... all of that, and doing "tickle arms" with Jesus.

6 comments:

lovemyguys said...

Let me tell you this. WIthout the knowledge of where she is and what she is doing right now, it would not be possible.

Loving your family right now.

Wobbly Librarian said...

Praying for you all.

kristyblack said...

There is no way to deal with it without the strength of Jesus Christ. I have no answers and I've never dealt with it. I don't dare to imagine what it would be like if one of my children passed away.

Chelle said...

Found you thru Heather - my heart aches for your family - lost my special needs sister when she was 3 & I was 7....my mom told me she went to have Sunday School with Jesus...that is the HOPE they (and you) have to see her again.

brian said...

I play in the Grove band with your brother and have followed your blog for some time but never made the connection that you two were siblings...

I was stunned by the news of your family's loss and continue to pray for all of you...

Michelene said...

We too, lost our son, Caleb at the age of three. It has been three and a half years since he went to be with Jesus. Everyday my heart wells up with grief and how much I miss him. He is waiting for us in Heaven and our Saviour gives me hope everyday.

I found your blog through Carlos Whittaker. Anyway, give yourself a big break and know that your heart will mend, but it will never be the same.