Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm mother of the year...

Friday afternoon I decide to load up the kids, all four of them, and stop by my job to pick up my paycheck. After that I planned to pick up the pictures of the kids that I had taken almost a month ago but never got around to picking up. Then I needed to get to the bank with my paycheck... it was going to be a full afternoon. So we get to my job. I have all the kids get out of the car. Abby goes to shut the door of the van and somehow missed the step where you are supposed to take your fingers out of the way. She slammed her fingers in the door of the locked van. I'm fumbling for my keys so I can try to free her hand. Isaiah and Ella start screaming, at the top of their lungs, as if they were both having their arms amputated without anesthesia. So I calmly tell them to stop screaming while I am simultaneously unlocking the door. I get the door unlocked but it won't open. The kids are still screaming - on top of Abby who is also screaming, but she's actually in pain. So I tell the older kids to stop again... well at this point I've probably asked them to stop screaming 5 or 6 times. They aren't stopping and I'm getting frustrated because I still can't free Abby's hand. So I turn and look at the older two kids and scream "SHUT UP!!!!!" As if I needed a clear reminder of how much I suck I look up to see one of those beautiful blond, physically toned, cookie cutter families with 2 perfectly dressed and stain free children (who had just finished eating at the diner) walking up to me. The man asks if I need help... and I said "no thanks" in my calmest voice, which at that point probably sounded more like something from a horror movie to him. See I told you I was mother of the year. Anyway about that time I get the front door unlocked and it opens which frees up enough space for Abby to pull her hand out. We go into my work and get a bag of ice for the twisted finger which Abby refuses to touch because her hand hurts so bad. Somehow I still managed to leave work with my paycheck but needless to say the rest of my errands didn't get done. We spent the next few hours en route to and then working our way through urgent care. Abby has a handy dandy splint on her middle finger but she is otherwise ok. At this point she is most concerned about the fact that she is sticking up "the middle finger - and it says a bad word." I'm so impressed with the education Isaiah got in public school that he brought home to the rest of the family!

1 comment:

brian said...

Sometimes the most difficult part of responding to an emergency is blocking out all the distractions...

Screaming children are the hardest.

Your OWN screaming children are even worse.

Focus! :)