Friday, March 14, 2008

I wasn't planning on having another kid...

and before you begin flooding me with calls... we're not talking about an actual human, but a kid of the puppy variety. I'm not a fan of animals as a general rule. My daughter however is doctor freaking Dolittle. Oh, the tricks God plays on parents. Anyway, the last dog I had survived a few months here until shortly after the former and I split. She went to live with him... and I was glad! I mean she was cute and all but seriously, dogs are a LOT of work, plus that was one extra mouth to feed and I could hardly afford to feed all the human mouths in my house. Well, Mr. Responsible let that puppy get knocked up. She had puppies about 6 or 8 weeks ago and of course the kids fell in love with them. Especially Dr. "Freaking" Dolittle... er um I mean Ella. So he tells them they can have one if it's ok with me... way to put me on the spot. I told him we MIGHT want one because we will be up at the property a lot and had planned to get a dog then anyway. So yesterday he brings the kids home, plus one.
The dog is cute... but she's a puppy. She's scared because she is away from her siblings and mom for the first time ever. Plus I think they had the run of the roost over there, but here - pooping on my couch or floor could get you shipped off to an orphanage even if I birthed you... so if you do that and you're a dog... yeah, you get the picture. We are crate training. It has worked super well for several of my friends. It's great when they are trained... getting her trained might kill me. She spent last night in the crate, but would only sleep for thirty to forty five minutes before waking up screaming/crying/whining. I'm exhausted. Kids are easier. When they are small enough to sleep like, well... babies, all you have to do is co-sleep and nurse all night to catch up on sleep. I'm not doing either with a dog.
Gotta love the fact that on top of this dog costing me about a hundred dollars I don't really have in supplies, and lets be honest, the fact that I'd just as soon NOT have a dog at all... the former calls last night and leaves a message for me when I was working and tells me how he thinks he should have at least gotten a 5X7 of the kids not the stingy wallets I gave him. After all he says, he GAVE me a dog. Yeah, thanks. Sweet, because I LOVE dogs...

1 comment:

TimB said...

I'm not very good at saying "no" to my daughter. I hope she never asks me for a dog. I like other people's dogs. I like your dog. A lot. I just hope it stays at your house.