Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I worked.

That may seem like no big deal to most of you but I worked yesterday. I put on a (really ugly) uniform and left my house to go clock in at a job. I haven't left my house to go to a job in 9 years. In fact I have never left my kids while I went to work. To make matters worse - I missed my weekly post divorce recovery coffee party at Coco's because I was working. By far the hardest thing though was the fact that my kids had been with their dad since Sunday morning. They got home, ate lunch and went down for naps (because they don't sleep at his house) and I left before they woke up. So I didn't get to spend quality time with my kids from Saturday until this morning. That sucked!
The job itself was fine. I'm not sure how impressed I should be about this but... one of the head bosses and the owner of the restaurant were meeting and, after they finished, the head boss comes over and tells me that they were talking about how impressed they were with me. That I was amazing and they couldn't believe it was my first day. The only reason that I'm impressed with that exchange at all is that I noticed this boss didn't interact with the staff much. He didn't talk to any of us "little people" except that short exchange with me. I mastered all kinds of functions of the job and by the way people responded to that I think they are used to absolute idiots working there! The only downside of the job itself is the one girl who is probably 12 and is convinced she knows everything... ok so she's probably 19 but she rubs me the wrong way. Everyone else was cool. I'm actually not dreading going back tomorrow, except for that horrid uniform!

6 comments:

A-dub said...

PICTURES OF THE UNIFORM! PICTURES OF THE UNIFORM! PICTURES OF THE UNIFORM!

Elissa said...

NO (freaking) WAY!!! I'm entirely too vain! And now I'll never tell you where I work for fear you'll show up with a camera!

Wobbly Librarian said...

I just want to know where so that we can show up, you can show off your skills, then get a huge tip.

Elissa said...

well, I'd tell you but then Adam could show up and go all paparazzi on me and post pics of me in the ugly uniform... I'll slip you the info privately if you can keep it on the DL. Oh, and as for the tip... I'm not serving yet so that'll have to wait - unless you plan to tip me for showing you to your seat...lol!

Jonathan Murtaugh said...

Hmmm. What restaurant in Riverside has the most retarded uniforms. Hmmm. Doing the hula at Islands? Maybe. Dressing like a geisha for Ooka? Unlikely. Donning the white polo of Little Green Onions? Boring. I'm going to figure this out and appoint myself a "mystery shopper." Good luck. Hope you score well.

Elissa said...

ahhh, but you will look for life and never find me if you only ever look in Riverside...I was however found out accidentally by some fellow Grovites tonight. I'm the happiest minimum wage worker in an ugly uniform that there ever was!