Monday, December 24, 2007

Best gift ever!

Yesterday I had Christmas with my dad's family. My grandma, who has Alzheimer's, has been living in a home for the last year and a half or so. We were able to have a caretaker bring her home for Christmas. It is so hard for me to see her like this. She is a brilliant woman. She went to college when most women didn't. She always had a quick wit and I admired her strength. So to see her unable to communicate effectively is painful. She tries to talk but very little makes sense. She doesn't know who I am. I held her hand, and it's still her hand, but it feels like there is a stranger in her body. So I cried...most of the day. I miss my grandma, even though physically she's still here.


Lately my grandpa has been choosing things that my grandma treasured to give us girls as gifts. When I was a kid, and would spend the night at my grandparents house, my grandma would make me a bed out of quilts. So this year my grandpa gave me one of those quilts. It didn't cost him money to give that to me but it is more valuable than anything he could have purchased. The quilt he chose for me is one that my Great Great Grandmother made. He gave me the quilt along with a photo of my dad on her lap...and I cried, again.


No comments: