Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I finished it...

I finished The Ragamuffin Gospel today. It was for me a profound read. I wonder if others who were raised in different (less legalistic) denominations are not so effected by books like this but in my mind it was huge. I found myself working really hard to get through it because every thought seemed so profound. I really wanted to soak it all in, retain it and be able to put it to use. Like the fact that somehow I have the idea that if I just do enough right I will measure up for God, but I never measure up to my own expectations how on earth could I possibly meet His? Oh, so that's the great part - I can't and He doesn't expect me to. Jesus met the measure for me. It's done, even though I'm still a work in process...the price has already been paid. I understand that this concept might not be so profound for many. It isn't a new concept for me. The problem for me is in the execution of it. How can I live like a person who's failures are redeemed and have my works and fruit be a RESPONSE to that rather than an attempt to EARN that? That is my personal struggle. Maybe if I can figure out how to live in response to the sacrifice of Christ rather than trying to somehow be worthy of that sacrifice I would be less tired of DOING my faith.

2 comments:

Jonathan Murtaugh said...

A huge "a-ha" moment came for me one time when something cool happend for me (like a job or something) and I was talking to a friend about it saying something along the lines of how humbled I was. I wasn't making great, godly choices at the time and the gigantic blessing seemed oddly timed. My friend's response was, "What if God simply LIKES you?" We always talk about how God loves us, but somehow thinking that He LIKES me was a huge, freeing thing. Like, I could go for a week without reading my Bible and He would still LIKE me???!!!

Elissa said...

I'm sure many struggle with this type of thing but I must say it's nice to have someone step up and admit to it. Knowing others struggle too (or have in the past and then overcome it) is a great encouragement. Thanks.