Thursday, November 22, 2007

I don't have a snappy title...deal with it.

I've been harassed for something near forever by my brother, but especially my sister in law, to start running. I have been saying I will eventually for so long that I think eventually passed like a year ago.

Flash forward to now. I'm divorced and wanting to find new things to do to fill my time. I have also just lost what is now very close to 30 lbs. I am down two full sizes and the size I am wearing now is getting big. I was out with my s-i-l Adrianne this weekend and it came up again. For the first time I thought, "yeah, ya know what, I could totally DO that!!!" So the fire got lit under my back end...but I didn't follow through on Monday, or Tuesday.

Then I was talking to another friend who pretty much called me out on it. He said I wouldn't do it... well I like a challenge and frankly if you tell me I can't or won't do something, chances are I will. Even if it's just to prove you wrong. Now, I need to mention that I use my treadmill, I just never run on it. No, I don't hang my clothes on it - I actually use it. I just have always walked and not run.

So yesterday I got on the treadmill and ran without stopping for 20 minutes. That may seem like a small thing, but I pushed past the urge to quit for the first time since High School. The funny thing is - it felt really good. Then I went and ate a bunch of really "healthy" Thanksgiving food. Tonight I came home and decided to try running again. I ran 25 minutes and you know what? Somehow 25 minutes was easier than 20...does that make sense? I'm gonna try 30 tomorrow. I figure if I keep this up, not only will I keep off all the weight I've lost. I might lose more, and better yet I will tone up what I've got. That thought really helps in the whole "I'm dating and I wanna look good" department.

I talked to another friend tonight who said she is signing herself and her hubby up for a 5K in February. She told me she's going to sign me up to run it with them...now I'm committed. I can't back out of that. Adrianne told me she won't do a 5 k with me till I can do it in 30 minutes...I have till February to work that out. I'm going to go ahead and call it official - I have a new hobby.

Next on the list I'm going to teach myself how to play guitar. One more thing I've wanted to do forever and never quite gotten around to. I'm liking this side of the single life. The side where I get to figure out what I want to do, and then actually do it! Fun stuff.

1 comment:

Christina Ellis said...

That's awesome Elissa! Good luck working up to the 5K! You can do it!