Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My life long friend...she's sorta like my sister


Lauren has been my friend for about 25 years. We have loved and fought...sometimes over the stupidest things imaginable. We have endured what was probably the most traumatic experience of our lives together. We are bonded in a way that sometimes doesn't make sense. She has moved back and forth between here and Virginia so many times I think I might have lost count. When we get a chance to spend time together though it is like no time has passed.

She is in town this week and today was my day. We went to dinner, and had a glass of wine. It felt very grown up. That may seem an odd thing to say because I am after all a grown up but I rarely sit with a friend and have a glass of wine with dinner.

It was funny in other ways too. For the last 12 years, while I was taken and then married, she was often single. Tonight she was getting calls and messages from her "man" and I was the single one. It was an interesting look in the other direction. I fully expect to be helping plan her wedding by early next year.

Sometimes I get frustrated with her but at the end of the day I can't stay mad at her for anything. I know my place with her and her place with me. Our friendship is sometimes an odd one but I will love her forever!

No comments: