Sunday, September 2, 2007

I found this article today...

About PCOS.... I have it and am just now going back on my meds after a long hiatus. I had taken such a long break because between having babies, surgeries, and well just life I couldn't bring myself to undergo the horrors caused by getting back on them. The meds (metformin aka glucophage) causes some pretty miserable side effects in the first few weeks. The upside is that I have always lost a good chunk of weight when I have gone back on it.
For those who don't know what PCOS is stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which is caused by insulin resistance. The symptoms are weight gain, irregular periods, infertility (I know I have four kids - thanks in large part to the meds), excess hair, or thinning hair, acne or other skin problems and depression/anxiety. Part of the problem is that PCOS causes an over abundance of male hormones. This is the part I found really interesting...the article I was reading said that a study had found that the "prevalence of polycystic ovaries was no less than 80% in gay women, while 32% of heterosexual women had the disorder" Can I just tell you that it made me think. First of all if that many women are suffering from this how many are suffering and don't know it? Second was more of a realization than anything else - that no less than 80% of gay women have this is mindblowing! Anybody else see a connection?

No comments: