Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I'm baking and my house smells YUMMY!




Since I am single, and have never mowed a lawn in my life, my dear neighbors have been beyond sweet and started mowing it for me. I love to bake and got the idea that it might be nice if I make them something every week or so to thank them. So I made them some cookies - my favorite eggless recipe - and they LOVED them! Then I made them our family holiday desert called Pan-Am cake. I don't know why we call it that but it is a chocolate(ish) cake made from scratch topped with pecans, chocolate chips and sugar. It also has dates in it but that's a whole 'nother tale - you'd never know by tasting it I promise!


Here's the problem... I find myself wanting to top my last fabulous delivery. I haven't made my killer brownies yet but I thought I'd better start getting creative first cuz I might need to pull an easy one out sometime! So I have had this vision in my head of a pie that Marie's used to make back in the day when I worked there...forever ago...that they don't make anymore. It was a chocolate macadamia nut pie. Think pecan pie but with macadamia nuts instead and add a layer of chocolate at the bottom...yum! So I decided to try to recreate my memory.

I made two pie crusts from scratch - oh, and I broke out my grandparents 30 year old food processor to make them, that was cool! It's in perfect condition - I mean like in the box with all the original plastic - seriously they kept everything! Ok, back to my baking...I follow the directions on the back of the dark Karo syrup bottle for pecan pie but add my twists on the original. I put those bad boys in the oven (I made two cuz I have to know if it's good enough to take to the neighbors before I subject them to my creation) and holy crap - my house smells so good! I just pulled them out and not only do they smell insanely fabulous but they look beautiful too! Hmmm can't wait to try it out, but I'm supposed to let them sit for two hours. So I think my breakfast may consist of chocolate macadamia nut pie and coffee - healthy huh!?!?




No comments: